One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An exclamation used for emphasis or to express emotions such as surprise, anger, or distress.‘by hokey, it will have been worth it’
- ‘By hokey, she gives an excellent analysis of his article in this morning's Post.’
- ‘It's not big or fancy but, by hokey, it's fun.’
- ‘We'll surely all die of skin cancer in the years to come, but by hokey, it will have been worth it.’
- ‘By hokey, we mean to hold this government accountable one way or the other.’
- ‘The film never happened, but by hokey it's a great yarn.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.