One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Taking the same line of argument further.‘the study shows how television and, by extension, the media, alter political relationships’
- ‘That would be the boards of directors, and, by extension, the stockholders.’
- ‘Only those who hold ministerial positions in government are accountable to Parliament and by extension the nation.’
- ‘But from past experience, I doubt that any serious combat, and by extension deaths, will occur.’
- ‘For if both of these apparently carefree images have a message, it is surely of the fleeting nature of such moments and, by extension, of life itself.’
- ‘Well, primarily, it has been the Department of Education and, by extension, it has been the Government.’
- ‘And by extension so are his attorneys when it comes to confidential information.’
- ‘Suddenly the whole future of Woomera - and by extension of the whole remote detention system - is up in the air.’
- ‘I wonder if, by extension, one could say that radical feminism will soon become a movement that died.’
- ‘The drawing itself is often used as an implied symbol of the essential symmetry of the human body, and by extension, to the universe as a whole.’
- ‘So far the question of asylum seekers and, by extension, racism has been dealt with in a very piecemeal fashion by the Government.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.