One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
As a result of a plan; intentionally.‘I became a presenter by default rather than by design’
deliberately, intentionally, on purpose, purposefullyView synonyms
- ‘If they did end up saving too little, they'd have done so by design rather than default.’
- ‘It's hard to judge how far this separation is by circumstance or by design.’
- ‘He believes that such feelings developed more by accident rather than by design.’
- ‘Lots of people are starting to suspect that's by design rather than by accident.’
- ‘By default or by design, we're going to basically decide what kind of world we want to live in.’
- ‘Far more by accident than by design, they start a small business.’
- ‘I think the media has traditionally had a liberal slant, but I don't think it's by design.’
- ‘The Swedish example did not happen by accident - it happened by design.’
- ‘By doing so, thought process and decision making can be taught by design, rather than left to chance.’
- ‘Well, it may seem obvious that they both are made by design or intent.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.