One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
As a result of a plan; intentionally.‘I became a presenter by default rather than by design’
deliberately, intentionally, on purpose, purposefullyView synonyms
- ‘He believes that such feelings developed more by accident rather than by design.’
- ‘Lots of people are starting to suspect that's by design rather than by accident.’
- ‘By doing so, thought process and decision making can be taught by design, rather than left to chance.’
- ‘Well, it may seem obvious that they both are made by design or intent.’
- ‘I think the media has traditionally had a liberal slant, but I don't think it's by design.’
- ‘By default or by design, we're going to basically decide what kind of world we want to live in.’
- ‘The Swedish example did not happen by accident - it happened by design.’
- ‘Far more by accident than by design, they start a small business.’
- ‘It's hard to judge how far this separation is by circumstance or by design.’
- ‘If they did end up saving too little, they'd have done so by design rather than default.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.