Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person or thing that has a depressing or dispiriting effect.‘if you think bad weather at the zoo sounds like a buzzkill, you're right’
- ‘I wrote the story, and then the unavoidable buzz kill of a second-day follow-up story.’
- ‘The scandal could be a major buzz kill for him.’
- ‘I am a major buzz kill.’
- ‘Upstairs seemed great but as soon as we got downstairs - buzz kill.’
- ‘It was a slight buzzkill.’
- ‘Okay, now that we have done our proper buzzkill - let's get on with the facts!’
- ‘Bossy adults are turning baseball into a buzz kill for kids.’
- ‘It's very flattering that people like certain jokes and ask for them, but it's kind of a buzzkill.’
- ‘Of course, the buzz kill remains the ongoing (boring!) discussion about screeners.’
- ‘There's always been that one class that's just a total buzzkill right from the start.’
- ‘As helpful as such guides are meant to be, they're nothing but buzz kill, a chafe, strictly for the birds.’
- ‘If there was ever a more horrendous buzzkill in life, I've yet to experience it.’
- ‘I'm sorry if that's a buzzkill, but things move fast in politics and there's no time to waste.’
- ‘Clarity apparently is a buzz kill.’
- ‘Surgery is not the buzz kill it once was, and corrective operations and medicine can prolong careers.’
- ‘I thought the first hour was fun, but the second hour was a definite buzz kill.’
- ‘If I showed up and said that you really have to regulate the housing market, I'd look like a buzz kill, you know, a kill joy.’
- ‘The episodes look great, though the non-anamorphic widescreen treatment is a real buzzkill.’
- ‘Sorry for the buzzkill.’
- ‘And then, like a walking, unkempt buzzkill, the campground security showed up.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.