One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- informal term for flying bomb
- ‘Londoners under attack would come to know it as the doodlebug or buzz bomb, so called for the mechanical hum it made before dropping on its target.’
- ‘The small London row house where Edith, Muriel's father's sister lived had been hit by a buzz bomb and the second floor was unlivable.’
- ‘Posted to France, he was hit by a buzz bomb and his mates, thinking him dead, took him to the mortuary.’
- ‘The device was the notorious doodlebug, or buzz bomb.’
- ‘German VI rockets or ‘buzz bombs’ were an increasing threat and killed scores of Wrens who slept in cellars for protection.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.