One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small pilotless aircraft with an explosive warhead, especially a V-1.
- ‘German VI rockets or ‘buzz bombs’ were an increasing threat and killed scores of Wrens who slept in cellars for protection.’
- ‘Londoners under attack would come to know it as the doodlebug or buzz bomb, so called for the mechanical hum it made before dropping on its target.’
- ‘Posted to France, he was hit by a buzz bomb and his mates, thinking him dead, took him to the mortuary.’
- ‘The device was the notorious doodlebug, or buzz bomb.’
- ‘The small London row house where Edith, Muriel's father's sister lived had been hit by a buzz bomb and the second floor was unlivable.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.