Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Able to be bought; on sale.‘these banned sweets are still buyable in markets’
- ‘The phones I chose were all buyable unlocked and without overlays to the intended system.’
- ‘The buyable figurines come in three sizes - extra large, large and medium.’
- ‘I wish this was buyable in my country.’
- ‘Lowering the price to the market clearing price will be required for the dwelling to be buyable or rentable, and won't necessarily change the premium.’
- ‘Consumers have more merchandise choices and information than ever, much of it literally at their smartphone-gripping fingertips, searchable and buyable in a moment.’
- ‘Does the fact that the "product" being advertised isn't necessarily a tangible, buyable sort of product change how we can measure the advertisement?’
- ‘eBay is the only place where the product is easily buyable.’
- ‘Clothing worn by characters will be buyable through the TV interface.’
- ‘Many of the other things an agency provides - media planning, research, account services - are buyable.’
2Susceptible to bribery.‘you're saying that the leaders of other nations are buyable’
- ‘By doing so they will send a message saying British Law is not as bendable/buyable/corruptible as they seem to think it is.’
- ‘Bureaucrats and lackeys of government ministries are just as likely to be buyable.’
- ‘With computer systems being insecure, governments lax, people untrustworthy and buyable, putting this kind of very personal, very important, very vulnerable information into the hands of people only because it's a nice revenue stream is offensively stupid.’
- ‘Or do we simply have the most buyable politicians?’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.