One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A small hook with a long handle for fastening tight buttons (often formerly on buttoned boots).
- ‘Victorian boots often had lots of loops and buttons to fasten, and this buttonhook helped with that.’
- ‘A combination buttonhook and zipper puller having a tapered elongated portion can be inserted in buttonholes of different sizes to grasp buttons of different sizes for buttoning.’
- ‘Buttonhooks are sticks with a wire loop at the end, and they come in many styles and sizes.’
A play in which a pass receiver runs straight downfield and then doubles back sharply towards the line of scrimmage.
- ‘This helps make #2's buttonhook all the more effective.’
- ‘For a buttonhook to be effective, the receiver must convince the defensive back covering him that he is going to continue his pattern downfield.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.