One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An attachment for a sewing machine used to make buttonholes.
- ‘The facility is also equipped with numerous bartackers, buttonholers, fusing machines, cutting machines and steam irons.’
- ‘72-stitch-function sewing machine features an easy automatic 4-step buttonholer with stitch balance control for perfectly uniform buttonholes every time.’
- ‘If I could figure out which was the buttonholer, I could have it.’
- ‘Make a buttonholer from a tongue depressor or craft stick with a loop of string through a hole in one end of it.’
- ‘During the course of the program, students are exposed to equipment used in the field such as buttonholers, high speed sewing machines, and cutters.’
- ‘There's a woman in the mother lode country who collects buttonholers, and one in New York who collects toothpaste and tooth powder.’
- ‘These are the buttonholers that come in the pink (slant shank) or green (straight shank) ‘Jetson’ style cases.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.