Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A highly venomous African spider which is a close relative of the American black widow.
- ‘Some of the species with very toxic venom are the button spider and the black widow.’
- ‘The button spiders have round abdomens with slender legs of which the third pair of legs is the shortest.’
- ‘A person who has been bitten by a black button spider needs to be hospitalised and treated with anti-venom.’
- ‘In Africa, especially South Africa, the genus is more popularly referred to as the button spiders.’
- ‘In fact, there have been no deaths from button spiders in the last 4 to 5 decades.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.