One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Stop or refrain from talking.
be quiet, keep quiet, stay quiet, be silent, keep silent, stay silent, hold one's tongue, keep one's lips sealedView synonyms
- ‘I'd told her this was payback for keeping me in the dark about the visit of Lorne, Bryan, and Co. on my birthday, and buttoned my lip.’
- ‘But they do like and respect him, and I can't imagine them agreeing that as a former Governor General he should button his lip.’
- ‘The nation's professional churl had finally been forced to button his lip.’
- ‘I am talking here, Abra, so I would kindly appreciate it if you would button your lip.’
- ‘Know when to button your lip and let others talk.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.