Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Each of a series of longitudinal lines or curves marked on a plan of a ship to show its fore-and-aft sections at various distances from the centre line.
- ‘The flat runout buttock lines provide planing speed capacity with minimal drag and maximum stern support.’
- ‘And then Erik came by and said that it was better, but that the buttock lines should be straightened out.’
- ‘The basic idea is to mark off a grid on the ground under the boat for buttock line and frame stations.’
- ‘The chine and buttock lines will reveal the full bellied shape usually present in this type of hull.’
- ‘Therefore, a semi-displacement boat will have fairly straight and fairly flat buttock lines aft.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.