Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A valve consisting of a rotating circular plate or a pair of hinged semicircular plates, attached to a transverse spindle and mounted inside a pipe in order to regulate or prevent flow.
- ‘The exhaust has a butterfly valve, which cuts in between 1,500 rpm and 3,000 rpm.’
- ‘The carburetor-heat lever turns a butterfly valve in the air-induction systems that bypasses the normally filtered air, allowing warm air to directly enter the carburetor body.’
- ‘A good thing to remember is that the operation of either of these systems uses a butterfly valve that closes off the normal induction system.’
- ‘The most expensive single component was a large butterfly valve, which cost $7,000.’
- ‘So today I cleaned the Automatic Idle Control valve of my Saab, and the throttle butterfly valve.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.