Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A valve consisting of a rotating circular plate or a pair of hinged semicircular plates, attached to a transverse spindle and mounted inside a pipe in order to regulate or prevent flow.
- ‘The most expensive single component was a large butterfly valve, which cost $7,000.’
- ‘So today I cleaned the Automatic Idle Control valve of my Saab, and the throttle butterfly valve.’
- ‘The exhaust has a butterfly valve, which cuts in between 1,500 rpm and 3,000 rpm.’
- ‘The carburetor-heat lever turns a butterfly valve in the air-induction systems that bypasses the normally filtered air, allowing warm air to directly enter the carburetor body.’
- ‘A good thing to remember is that the operation of either of these systems uses a butterfly valve that closes off the normal induction system.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.