One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A valve consisting of a rotating circular plate or a pair of hinged semicircular plates, attached to a transverse spindle and mounted inside a pipe in order to regulate or prevent flow.
- ‘The exhaust has a butterfly valve, which cuts in between 1,500 rpm and 3,000 rpm.’
- ‘So today I cleaned the Automatic Idle Control valve of my Saab, and the throttle butterfly valve.’
- ‘The carburetor-heat lever turns a butterfly valve in the air-induction systems that bypasses the normally filtered air, allowing warm air to directly enter the carburetor body.’
- ‘A good thing to remember is that the operation of either of these systems uses a butterfly valve that closes off the normal induction system.’
- ‘The most expensive single component was a large butterfly valve, which cost $7,000.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.