One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small ray of warm coastal waters with very broad triangular fins.
Family Gymnuridae and genus Gymnura: several species, including G. natalensis
- ‘The butterfly rays are among the most handsome and graceful of the rays.’
- ‘Some stingray species do not possess stings, such as some of the butterfly rays and devil rays.’
- ‘There are common turtle sightings, butterfly rays, bull rays, octopus, cuttlefish and lots and lots of fish!’
- ‘A huge ray is cruising into the distance but I can just make out its beautiful markings and wider-than-normal wings that suggest it's a butterfly ray, a species I've never seen before.’
- ‘Our divers on Tuesday's dive (Chris and Tim) were absolutely thrilled to witness one of our most beautiful rays, the marbled butterfly ray, at Playa Paraiso.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.