One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wild orchid with a flower that somewhat resembles a butterfly in shape, found in both Eurasia and North America.
Genus Platanthera, family Orchidaceae: many species, including two widely distributed European species with fragrant greenish-white flowers, P. chlorantha and the smaller P. bifolia
- ‘The tour ended in a forest of trees with blooming white blossoms of phalaenopsis, or butterfly orchid.’
- ‘Bauhinia forficata, or Brazilian orchid tree, also is known as white butterfly orchid tree or simply white orchid tree.’
- ‘Colorful butterfly orchids from Taiwan received two awards at the Sakoliki International Flower Show in Moscow, organizers said yesterday.’
- ‘Among them are butterfly orchid from Timor and Maluku, and mini orchid from North Sulawesi.’
- ‘Burnt, fragrant, marsh and butterfly orchids can all be found here, but top of the pile is the lady's slipper.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.