Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A wild orchid with a flower that somewhat resembles a butterfly in shape, found in both Eurasia and North America.
- ‘Colorful butterfly orchids from Taiwan received two awards at the Sakoliki International Flower Show in Moscow, organizers said yesterday.’
- ‘Among them are butterfly orchid from Timor and Maluku, and mini orchid from North Sulawesi.’
- ‘Bauhinia forficata, or Brazilian orchid tree, also is known as white butterfly orchid tree or simply white orchid tree.’
- ‘The tour ended in a forest of trees with blooming white blossoms of phalaenopsis, or butterfly orchid.’
- ‘Burnt, fragrant, marsh and butterfly orchids can all be found here, but top of the pile is the lady's slipper.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.