One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small sponge cake with its top cut off and divided into two pieces, which are then fixed to the cake with buttercream at an angle to resemble a butterfly's wings.
- ‘The evacuees, largely made up of pupils from Haworth and Stanbury primary schools, were then treated to a tea party, featuring paste sandwiches, jelly and butterfly cakes.’
- ‘I had a delicate and delicious butterfly cake.’
- ‘Bakers prepare everything from breadsticks and banana bread to tiered wedding cakes - or a butterfly cake, if you prefer.’
- ‘The butterfly cakes with fresh raspberry cream are going down a treat.’
- ‘Pictured here (clockwise from black Fendi handbag) are yellow Pucci cake, Marc Jacobs butterfly cake, Missoni eclair and an Alberta Ferretti pale green macaroon.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.