One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small sponge cake with its top cut off and divided into two pieces, which are then fixed to the cake with buttercream at an angle to resemble a butterfly's wings.
- ‘Bakers prepare everything from breadsticks and banana bread to tiered wedding cakes - or a butterfly cake, if you prefer.’
- ‘Pictured here (clockwise from black Fendi handbag) are yellow Pucci cake, Marc Jacobs butterfly cake, Missoni eclair and an Alberta Ferretti pale green macaroon.’
- ‘The butterfly cakes with fresh raspberry cream are going down a treat.’
- ‘I had a delicate and delicious butterfly cake.’
- ‘The evacuees, largely made up of pupils from Haworth and Stanbury primary schools, were then treated to a tea party, featuring paste sandwiches, jelly and butterfly cakes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.