One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of fishes with oily flesh or slippery skin.
- ‘Ballan wrasse, dragonets, scorpionfish, butterfish and topknots (common and Norwegian) all occur frequently.’
- ‘It was not until the autofocus hit the mark that I noted the jaws of the scorpionfish trapping the poor butterfish.’
- ‘Here butterfish can be seen feeding on mussels, and cowries are also in evidence.’
- ‘In the rock pools I used a net and caught butterfish.’
- ‘The most common here are butterfish, which swim off, snake-like, if disturbed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.