One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A soft mixture of butter and icing sugar used as a filling or topping for a cake.
- ‘For the vanilla buttercream: Combine sugar, water and vanilla bean in small saucepan.’
- ‘When using buttercream, frost entire cake thinly.’
- ‘The focus of this class is learning and perfecting various kinds of piping and flowers made from buttercream and royal icing.’
- ‘You can also put a buttercream on top, flavoured in the same way.’
- ‘Katja's key to success is American buttercream.’
- ‘The worst thing you can do is expect him to match your ten to twenty years of feminine wisdom on the relative merits of buttercream vs. fondant.’
- ‘Transfer buttercream to pastry bag fitted with small tip and garnish edges of each cake.’
- ‘It's about being stressed out and not knowing any other way to be good to myself besides eating cupcakes with buttercream frosting.’
- ‘But instead, I use her recipe for buttercream frosting and make cupcakes.’
- ‘It's a chocolate bottom, filled with vanilla buttercream.’
- ‘He continued to decorate a few dozen cupcakes, all covered with bright blue buttercream frosting.’
- ‘They're different in that what I would normally put as a filling - butter and sugar - is instead made into a syrup or buttercream, and placed in paper cups.’
- ‘Pipe some peanut butter buttercream into the bottom, cover with a cupcake piece, and set aside on a parchment-lined sheet pan.’
- ‘For the rose petal cream: In bowl of food processor fitted with paddle, cream buttercream and butter until fluffy.’
- ‘Here the biscuit and buttercream were subtly infused with Matcha powder instead, so that every rich chocolate bite was followed by an aromatic green tea after-shadow, slightly seaweedy but in a good way.’
- ‘I actually got intimidated by the amount of sugar used, so cut some down in the cake and buttercream (for the lemon curd and pine trees parts, well, there wasn't much I could do).’
- ‘I think you should do a whipped cream chocolate icing (rather than buttercream or ganache or something) because it's lighter in color.’
- ‘Sherman's rhythmic snoring soothed him and he liked the way his partner always smelled like buttercream frosting on a cake.’
- ‘Others - notably anything frosted with the unpleasantly grainy chocolate buttercream frosting - can cloy.’
- ‘The first bite of this little cookie of almond-enriched meringue reveals sweet and reassuring buttercream… then the disconcerting jolt of musky, earthy white truffles.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.