Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Flatter or otherwise ingratiate oneself with someone.
be obsequious towards, grovel to, be servile towards, be sycophantic towards, kowtow to, abase oneself to, demean oneself to, bow and scrape to, prostrate oneself to, toady to, truckle to, dance attendance on, fawn on, make up to, play up to, ingratiate oneself with, rub up the right way, curry favour withwheedle, flatter, court, persuade, blarney, coax, talk into, get round, prevail onsuck up to, crawl to, creep to, be all over, lick someone's boots, fall all over, keep someone sweet, sweet-talk, soft-soapbrown-nosekiss someone's arse, lick someone's arseblandishView synonyms
- ‘And if so, buttering them up in preparation for what?’
- ‘‘See, he phones people just to say hello, but he's only buttering you up so he can ask you favours later,’ he continued.’
- ‘His strategy now is to frustrate Dookeran, muzzle Yetming and see if Jack can be buttered up.’
- ‘‘Magic Valley's industrial dairies try to butter us up with sweet talk and promises,’ the ad begins, ‘but the reality is as different as milk and molasses.’’
- ‘She buttered me up with some praise (which always works with me).’
- ‘Anyway she could not have been nicer and Cowan buttered her up about all her films.’
- ‘Well, since you buttered me up so nicely: Okay..’
- ‘After buttering him up with a cold beer and the biggest cheeseburger in the world, he supplied me with the necessary contacts.’
- ‘Many reporters immortalized in the Kissinger transcripts talked to the secretary without buttering him up.’
- ‘McClaren is a PR man, adept at buttering people up in the boardroom but unproven in the dressing room, where it matters most.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.