Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(chiefly of a person) extremely unattractive.
- ‘Isn't, um, the whole charm of the thing due to those butt-ugly puppets?’
- ‘From the outside, it's a butt-ugly effect.’
- ‘At the same time, that doesn't mean these shoppers want something butt ugly, nor will they settle for something that limits expansion possibilities in the future.’
- ‘Shackled by the butt ugly menus and lack of true innovation, it'll be a bargain bin dust collector.’
- ‘Oh - and you're butt ugly!’
- ‘Back then there were two big shopping malls - Town Square, a butt-ugly early 80s twin to Minneapolis' butt-ugly City Center.’
- ‘Though they aren't exactly butt ugly, they don't look like Ziegfeld showgirl material either.’
- ‘I wouldn't say that I was poor either, just as I would say that I'm not great looking or butt ugly.’
- ‘Like a mother bringing up a butt ugly child, we must do the right and noble thing: love it for what it is.’
- ‘He's butt ugly and can't act.’
- ‘He is butt ugly and should not be confused with myself.’
- ‘Then in the spring of 2005, the bridge design was labelled a butt-ugly structure.’
- ‘I'll take the crispness of this over this, which is one butt-ugly website.’
- ‘The world may look better to you afterwards, but damned if you're still monkey butt ugly to me.’
- ‘It was o.k. because he wasn't butt ugly or anything.’
- ‘I must complain about your butt-ugly young editor.’
- ‘'If it can withstand the strain of having to record your butt ugly face then I'd say it's pretty much indestructible,' I quipped.’
- ‘I wouldn't want you thinking I'm butt ugly.’
- ‘As predicted since the butt-ugly problem erupted, the "aesthetically pleasing enclosure" helped to push the project cost $585,000 over budget.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.