One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in a large house) a small room where crockery, cutlery, and sometimes food and drink were kept.‘ale was supplied from the butlery’
pantry, storage room, storeroom, store, food store, cupboardView synonyms
- ‘The cooked foods go from the range to the butlery.’
- ‘The house has a wide front porch and has three large rooms, a butlery and a bathroom.’
- ‘Within it was a great banqueting hall, many smaller chambers in which the ladies might take their ease, kitchens and butleries, and every sort of comfort.’
- ‘At the other end of the cloister were the kitchens, butleries, pantries, and offices.’
- ‘The dining room offers the convenience of a butlery.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.