One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Tired out; exhausted.‘unless you're totally bushed, it's best to press on’
exhausted, tired, tired out, worn out, weary, fatigued, spent, drained, enfeebled, enervated, run downView synonyms
- ‘Given my usual sedentary existence, I'm rather bushed, so this is another terse entry.’
- ‘We've been over to see Dad today before doing a bit of shopping, so now we're chilling, totally bushed and ready for a drink!’
- ‘Considering all this, I must say, I didn't feel mentally bushed.’
- ‘He looks genuinely bushed, and that's a great shame, because he's played some fantastic tennis here.’
- ‘All in all, Steven Wright sounds like he's downright bushed.’
- ‘I was feeling a little bushed (after the second set) but I got off to a good start in the third and kept going.’
- ‘With wake-up for tomorrow's bullet train to Hiroshima set for 5: 30, everyone was bushed.’
- ‘We finally got her to sleep about 7.00 am so we were all fairly bushed.’
- ‘Eight hours on, we touch down smoothly at Gatwick, having been to France and back and, although it's only 2pm, I'm bushed.’
- ‘Ok - the first day of training is finished and I am bushed - as usual.’
2NZ Australian Lost in the bush.
- ‘Bushmanship was the talent, akin to that of Aborigines, for finding one's way through the bush, relying only on natural signs; to be bushed was to lose one's way, perhaps figuratively as well as geographically.’
- ‘If you get yourself "bushed" (lost) on one of these legs, you also need to be able to navigate on a "back bearing" using the compass to backtrack your way out.’
- ‘And yes, I'm lost, I'm fairly bushed.’
- ‘Soon, with a sudden icy feeling of dismay, he knew one thing: he was lost bushed with no idea of where he stood or where he was going.’
- ‘I have a reasonable good understanding of maps and have never been truly lost, although I have been "bushed" a few times.’
- 2.1 Flummoxed or bewildered.
baffled, mystified, bemused, perplexed, puzzled, confused, nonplussed, at sea, at a loss, thrown off balance, disorientated, taken abackView synonyms
- ‘This has me bushed, so if anyone can tell me if this unit actually can do this I would be very grateful.’
- ‘Now for Mr John Campbell, I think he has been a little bit bushed in his remarks about the murder of a young man named Kelly.’
3Canadian Psychologically disturbed on account of isolation.‘unused to solitude, he went bushed’
insane, mentally ill, certifiable, deranged, demented, of unsound mind, out of one's mind, not in one's right mind, sick in the head, not together, crazy, crazed, lunatic, non compos mentis, unbalanced, unhinged, unstable, disturbed, distracted, stark mad, manic, frenzied, raving, distraught, frantic, hysterical, delirious, psychotic, psychopathic, mad as a hatter, mad as a march hare, away with the fairies, foaming at the mouthView synonyms
- ‘Much of the film takes place within the confines of a cabin during the winter, and the faces on the characters by the time spring rolls around add a new dimension to the idea of being ‘bushed’.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.