One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small antelope with a reddish-brown coat with white markings, found in southern Africa.
Tragelaphus scriptus, family Bovidae
- ‘Across the open grasslands are scattered various members of the antelope family - horned bushbucks, waterbucks, eland, topi, gazelle and impala.’
- ‘The spiral horned antelope are represented by the sitatunga and bushbuck.’
- ‘Few are dependent on bushmeat to feed their families, and they set snares only for bushpigs, bushbucks, and duikers.’
- ‘Shy bushbuck, kudu, eland, impala, and elephant all take their turn whilst buffalo and waterbuck make their way to the sandy banks of the Zambesi.’
- ‘Other animal species to look out for include impala, blue wildebeest, waterbuck, zebra, nyala, kudu, bushbuck, warthog, cheetah, hyena, jackal and giraffe.’
Mid 19th century: from bush + buck, influenced by Dutch bosbok.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.