Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
nounWest Indian, Australian
[mass noun] Traditional folk medicine, typically prepared from herbs and other plants.
- ‘Are there any plans for a bush medicine clinic?’
- ‘Many ordinary citizens use herbal teas and bush medicine for everyday ailments.’
- ‘In the back room of another clinic was kept a collection of bush medicine that was used regularly.’
- ‘Installation of the bush medicine garden enhances the natural environment already established.’
- ‘We're going to regenerate this 40 acres and make it a bush trail and a bush medicine area.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.