One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fire in scrub or a forest, especially one that spreads rapidly.
- ‘In a recent bush fire in America there were 500 fire trucks and 93 helicopters at the scene.’
- ‘Reading spread like a bush fire and could no longer be stopped.’
- ‘His franchise chain of sandwich shops has spread like a bush fire.’
- ‘An increase in emergency room visits of asthmatic patients was shown in the reports of an urban warehouse fire and the 1987 bush fire in California.’
- ‘With gossip raging more quickly than a bush fire, Leonie fled for South Africa while her lover absconded to Peru.’
- ‘Bush fire fighters had to concentrate on the smaller ‘spot’ fires and wait until the bush fire went out itself.’
- ‘The sea is pounding in but the sky is full of clouds and in the distance a bush fire is spewing smoke into the air.’
- ‘According to the official report into the US case, a transmission line disconnected because of hot gases from a bush fire.’
- ‘He claimed falsely that his parents had died in a bush fire in Australia leaving him money to complete his education.’
- ‘What are you going to do if a bush fire starts from a lit candle falling from your altar?’
- ‘It takes one little spark to trigger a major bush fire, perhaps - and this could be it.’
- ‘It's not like a bush fire where you can go and put water on it.’
- ‘The bush fire, represented by the exploding figure in the centre of the painting, started at a place beyond the right edge of the painting.’
- ‘Bakr said a small bush fire also broke out near the river bank of the compound and fire tenders had to respond to put it out.’
- ‘In order to reproduce, and to survive, they will need the untamed energy of the bush fire.’
- ‘And shortly after we got approval a bush fire went through and burned what few trees there had been.’
- ‘Annual growth starts soon after the annual bush fire, at the change from the dry to the wet season (late January), and continues until October, at the next seasonal switch.’
- ‘That said, democracy is like an Australian bush fire.’
- ‘Something weird happened yesterday - we went out to the nearby small town of Warragul and passed a bush fire on the way.’
- ‘However, tragedy occurred once again during a bush fire in 1902, catching the house alight and burning it to ashes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.