Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A system of farming in which bushes and trees are cleared from virgin land, which is then allowed to lie fallow for a while before cultivation begins.
- ‘These were the Kobeda soil series in a teak plantation and the Dominase series in a bush fallow field.’
- ‘The palms grew and still grow wild in farmlands, bush fallow vegetation and in clearings.’
- ‘In bush fallow rotations, plantain can either be the first or last crop in the sequence.’
- ‘It shows that the bush fallow period is drastically reduced.’
- ‘Both 1 and 3 years of Calopogonium fallow resulted in significantly higher rice-grain yields per hectare than bush fallow did.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.