Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A system of farming in which bushes and trees are cleared from virgin land, which is then allowed to lie fallow for a while before cultivation begins.
- ‘It shows that the bush fallow period is drastically reduced.’
- ‘The palms grew and still grow wild in farmlands, bush fallow vegetation and in clearings.’
- ‘In bush fallow rotations, plantain can either be the first or last crop in the sequence.’
- ‘These were the Kobeda soil series in a teak plantation and the Dominase series in a bush fallow field.’
- ‘Both 1 and 3 years of Calopogonium fallow resulted in significantly higher rice-grain yields per hectare than bush fallow did.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.