One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A roofed structure for people to wait under at a bus stop.
- ‘Improvements have included new benches and cycle stands, widened pavements, an upgraded bus shelter and traffic calming.’
- ‘Even on Christmas Day I had to walk past several youths at the top bus shelter who appeared to have been drinking and were shouting abuse at people passing by.’
- ‘You know, I was sitting in the bus shelter, waiting for Ray to come and finish her dance practice.’
- ‘She had no money and it was late at night - if I hadn't picked her up she would have had no other choice than to sleep in a bus shelter on the street.’
- ‘The interview is conducted in a freezing bus shelter.’
- ‘A planning application has been submitted for the new bus shelter roof and is due to be considered by councillors by the end of the month.’
- ‘For spectators without wheels, there's a bus shelter, but very little else to occupy the hours until these youngsters are due home again.’
- ‘As yet the bus shelter has not been replaced or moved.’
- ‘Pandu said he was waiting at a bus shelter when the bomb exploded.’
- ‘And at about 2.30 pm the vandals went one further when a plastic-windowed bus shelter was gutted by fire.’
- ‘The timetable board on the bus shelter has been damaged.’
- ‘He was arrested and admitted slapping the bus shelter.’
- ‘Kynan led me to his bus stop and we waited just outside the bus shelter.’
- ‘We have a concrete bus shelter which provides no ‘shelter’ from the weather.’
- ‘There's currently a project where the children are designing a mural for the bus shelter which had previously been covered in graffiti.’
- ‘A bus shelter should, surely, provide shelter from the weather.’
- ‘After school, I sat out near the bus shelter waiting for mama, but she didn't come.’
- ‘It should be noted that if the proposal is agreed, there is no intention for a bus shelter or stop in Tewkesbury Road; the stop would remain at The Bell.’
- ‘Last week, one teenager was arrested on suspicion of vandalising a bus shelter in Barnett Wood Lane and another was given an official caution.’
- ‘When I was a boy we had the best bus shelter and toilet facilities in the country but like most things in Bessbrook they were pulled down.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.