Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A fluid-filled sac or sac-like cavity, especially one countering friction at a joint.
space, chamber, hollow, hole, pocket, pouchView synonyms
- ‘In an occasional case, one may be able to aspirate bursal fluid from the bursa itself before injection of corticosteroid.’
- ‘Aspiration and injection are performed by placing the needle directly into the fluid-filled bursa from the side.’
- ‘The trochanteric bursa is located over the lateral prominence of the greater trochanter of the femur.’
- ‘Lateral to the inferior medial border of the scapula is a bursa that can become inflamed.’
- ‘The suprapatellar bursa, which is continuous with the articular cavity (knee Joint), is seen.’
- ‘Common sites for bursitis include the pre-patellar bursa, the olecranon bursa, and the subacromial bursa.’
- ‘Another slip may attach to the synovial bursa forming a tensor bursae mucosae tendinum.’
- ‘When a patient complains of joint pain, the first step is to determine whether the source of the pain is the joint or a periarticular soft tissue structure such as a bursa or tendon.’
- ‘Occasionally, an olecranon bursa must be opened surgically.’
- ‘Possibly, the tendons, as well as tendon sheaths and surrounding bursae, will respond to overuse with inflammation and consequent swelling.’
- ‘The olecranon bursa may also be the site of infection, frequently caused by Staphylococcus aureus.’
- ‘The psoas bursa communicates with the hip joint in the adult in approximately 20% of the population.’
- ‘In particular, palpation can identify tenderness over the sites of muscle attachment to bone and the bursae.’
- ‘It may be possible to palpate the retrocalcaneal bursa and a bursa between the tendon and the skin.’
- ‘Other locations include the ulnar aspects of the forearm, olecranon, and prepatellar bursae, Achilles tendons, and hands.’
- ‘The trochanteric bursa of the gluteus maximus muscle can be seen.’
- ‘Direct trauma or repeated friction over the bursa can lead to inflammation.’
- ‘Proximally, the bursa is bordered by a synovial lining that separates the bursa from the proximal fat pad.’
- ‘I had a pinched nerve in my back and a bursa on my Achilles tendon.’
- ‘More importantly, however, is the fluid in the suprapatelar bursa which suggests the patient has joint involvement as well.’
Early 19th century: from medieval Latin, bag, purse, from Greek bursa leather.
A city in NW Turkey, capital of a province of the same name; population 1,431,200 (est. 2007). It was the capital of the Ottoman Empire from 1326 to 1402.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.