One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A deep reddish-brown pigment made by calcining raw sienna.
- ‘Like a tube of oil paint: if I buy a tube of burnt sienna, burnt sienna has to be in that tube.’
- ‘At the very least I am living proof that turpentine, cadmium red, burnt sienna, Venetian red et al are not carcinogenic.’
- ‘By glazing and layering burnt sienna and ochers, Hansen creates a rich depth and earthly warmth that keep her paintings evocative without crossing the line to the ethereal.’
- ‘Burnt umber, terre verte, red ochre, red lake and burnt sienna were identified in several places.’
- 1.1 A deep reddish-brown colour.
hazel, chocolate-coloured, coffee-coloured, cocoa-coloured, nut-brownView synonyms
- ‘Well, can you remember that mysterious color - burnt sienna - that was never brown enough for trees, and never really orange enough for flowers?’
- ‘While her colour palette was mainly black, white and ivory, her decision to add burnt sienna, cherry blossom and apricot was particularly effective.’
- ‘The bold combination of teal and burnt sienna tonings impact strongly on the décor although I was relieved to hear the chairs and glittery tables were only temporary.’
- ‘Muscles ripple over his burnt sienna body as do many scars.’
- ‘With skin tone colors of apricot, tan, sepia, mahogany, salmon, raw sienna, and burnt sienna, white was used primarily to alter shades and create a layered tint.’
- ‘From a distance the viewer is confronted with a burnt sienna cube the size of a large hut, the exterior of which is theatrically lit by two spotlights.’
- ‘Raising the chip to my anticipating lip, I braced myself for some hot stuff, but the burnt sienna dip, most likely whipped up on the premises, wasn't nearly as spiced up as it could have been.’
- ‘Here the exploding greens and oranges of the mid-1990s have given way to burnt sienna and more pregnant-reds - colours that are more meditative, deeper, and emotionally resonant.’
- ‘He wore thick rimmed spectacles, and even in the dim lighting David could see that he was sunburnt till his skin was the same shade as his burnt sienna hair.’
- ‘She was perfection, in brushed metal tones of silver and burnt sienna.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.