Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Consisting or made of material that is able to be burned or is suitable for burning:‘in 2000 Switzerland closed all of its landfills to burnable waste’
inflammable, burnable, combustible, incendiary, unstableView synonyms
- ‘After sufficient burnable material accumulates in and upon the soil, a hot fire can occur.’
- ‘The incinerators have also created a market for the purchase of burnable waste from industry.’
- ‘The firestorm raged for about 3 hours and only subsided when all burnable material was consumed.’
- ‘If you become encircled and trapped by the fire, look for shelter in a body of water, amongst rocks, or a natural depression in the ground, void of burnable materials, in which to lie in.’
- ‘Gather several plastic bottles and boxes made from cardboard or other sturdy, burnable material.’
- ‘It consumed everything that was burnable, leaving behind only molten metal and frames of vehicles.’
- ‘In order to convert soft powdery coal dust into a solid burnable unit, a special binding agent had to be developed.’
- ‘Everything burnable was begged, collected, dragged, piled up and then guarded night and day.’
- ‘General household waste is collected once a week but it must be separated into burnable and non-burnable items.’
- ‘Each Monday morning he would rise half an hour early, winter and summer, make his way across the cobbled yard and carry with him a handful of kindling, a box of burnable rubbish and a bucketful of slack coal.’
- ‘People put out their trash, always conscientiously divided into burnable and not burnable, in an orderly way at the points indicated on the streets.’
- ‘Burnable garbage is comprised of things like pieces of paper, old clothes, and cut hair.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.