One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Make someone homeless by destroying their home by fire.‘he and his family had been burned out of their house’
- ‘When it burned him out of his home in 1791 no public outcry ensued.’
- ‘The phosphorus from the smoke shells burned us out.’
- ‘When that happened, said Nomani, ‘I quoted Sojourner Truth when she said, ‘If they burn us out, then I shall preach upon the ashes.’’
- ‘They tried to blow her up, to burn her out, to foreclose on her mortgage.’
- ‘When we moved four years ago, we were in desperate need of a place because we had been burned out of our old house.’
- ‘She was burned out of her house and her relatives killed in front of her.’
- ‘I'll guarantee you that our Lord Steward doesn't know I have it, else he'd be burning me out of house and home.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.