Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
adjective & noun
- another term for Burmese (sense 1 of the noun)
- ‘At present, about 68 percent are ethnic Burmans, who have traditionally dominated the central lowlands.’
- ‘Theravada Buddhism is the dominant religion among the majority Burman ethnic group.’
- ‘But the Karens, who were mostly Christians and lived in the Irrawaddy delta and in the hills between the Sittang and Salween rivers, were pro-British, as colonial rule had suppressed persecution of them by the Burmans.’
- ‘After the arrival of the Burmans in the 9th century there was much hostility between them and the indigenous peoples.’
- ‘Myanmar's population is divided primarily into seven separate administrative states, in addition to the Burmans: the Chins, the Kachins, the Karens, the Kayahs, the Mons, the Arakenese and the Shans.’
- ‘The Burmans, the dominant ethnic group, inhabit the Irrawaddy River Basin.’
- ‘This is apt, since it was the Burmans who destroyed the Lan Na kingdom in the sixteenth century.’
- ‘Not long after jailing Suu Kyi, the junta renamed the country ‘Myanmar,’ the historical name for the pre-colonial kingdom controlled by the Burmans.’
- ‘Burma, which achieved independence in 1948 with the end of British rule, includes many different ethnic and cultural groups, in particular the Burmans, the Shans, the Chins, and the Mons.’
- ‘One story, ‘The Railway of Death’ concerned an escaped prisoner-of-war in Burma and his faithful elephant who pulled down a bridge as a Japanese munitions train was crossing it, to the joy of the loyal Burmans.’
- ‘The Burmans of Dabur will not mind their partner, the CGNU Group (now Aviva Plc) of the UK, increasing its stake in the life insurance venture, Aviva, if regulation permits.’
- ‘Suu Kyi, the leader of the opposition, is a member of the majority Burman ethnic group.’
- ‘Perhaps 3 million Burmese, mostly Karens, Kachins, Chins, and Lisu, are Christians who accept animistic rituals like the Burmans, who are mostly Theravada Buddhists.’
- ‘Shelby Tucker has examined ethnic and cultural diversities and mentioned the social and cultural milieu of the Kokangs, Was, Akhas, Lahus, Karens, Rakhines, Chins, Kachins and Mons in the backdrop of ethnic Burmans.’
- ‘The Alpine - Himalayan belt continues eastward along the Indo - Burman ranges into the complex geology of south-east Asia and Indonesia.’
- ‘The Burmans stress age in social and human relations.’
- ‘The Union of Myanmar was chosen to replace Burma in order to publicize the fact that the country is composed not only of the Burman majority but also of various other ethnic groups.’
- ‘John, Mary, Jack and two highly strung Burman cats live together at a house in the Hawthornes, but until the waters recede they are staying at Ashfields Residential Home, Malton.’
- ‘The first of these ‘birthing centres’, to be titled The Cradle, will come up in Delhi in a month, in a joint venture between an Apollo subsidiary and a company promoted by the Burmans of Dabur.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.