One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tobacco of a light-coloured variety which is grown mainly in Kentucky, USA.
- ‘To survive in the Mils and hollows of western North Carolina, a farmer had to know how to grow burley tobacco.’
- ‘The top 10 products for the period January to June, 2006, were copper rods, electrical cables, burley tobacco, sugar, cotton lint, fresh flowers and vegetables, cotton yarn, gemstones and coffee.’
- ‘He explained that 22,053,231 Kilogrammes was Virginia while 18,800,00 kilogrammes was burley tobacco.’
- ‘The agriculture in this region is dominated by the production of Christmas trees, ornamental plants and burley tobacco, with some vegetables and fruits being produced.’
- ‘Plant breeders have developed many good varieties and hybrids of burley tobacco, all of which are available to Ohio growers.’
- ‘Top products exported to 59 export markets within and outside the sub region include copper wires, electrical cables, burley tobacco, sugar and cotton lint.’
Late 19th century: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.