One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large herbaceous Old World plant of the daisy family. The hook-bearing flowers become woody burrs after fertilization and cling to animals' coats to aid seed dispersal.
Genus Arctium, family Compositae: several species, including the large-leaved great burdock (A. lappa), which has edible roots and is used in herbal medicine
- ‘If you feel you need to help your body purify itself, you may want to eat Liver cleansing foods such as beets, carrots, and burdock.’
- ‘Turkeys are one of nature's opportunists, eating everything available including bits of vegetation, weed seeds, waste grain, and even the seeds hidden in the center of burdocks.’
- ‘Give him a dandelion and burdock and see if he can spot the difference.’
- ‘Oligosaccharides are present in vegetables such as Jerusalem artichokes, burdock, chicory, leeks, onions, and asparagus, and of course beans.’
- ‘At present, I am sipping a Dr Stuart's detox tea which has lots of herbals such as dandelion, milk thistle and burdock to help cleanse the liver.’
- ‘Herb sources of B complex vitamins are dandelion, fenugreek, parsley, alfalfa, watercress, cayenne, burdock and sage.’
- ‘Pickles are a must and so is fish, usually grilled, but there may be some small pieces of meat and certainly a salad of cooked vegetables such as spinach, burdock, or coltsfoot.’
- ‘The original formula contained four herbs: burdock root, Indian rhubarb root, sheep sorrel and slippery elm.’
- ‘If you press me for a recipe, I'd say use four dashes each of burdock, dandelion, parsley, turmeric and watercress; two dashes of celery seed, garlic, ginger and oregano; and one dash each of the others, as available.’
- ‘In the summer find burdock, turnips, cucumbers, mint, lemon grass, Chinese chive, soybeans and coriander.’
- ‘Containing dandelion, burdock, sarsaparilla, milk thistle, liquorice, yellow dock, turmeric and red clover, a bottle provides about 30 servings as you dilute it with either still or sparkling water.’
- ‘To improve soil structure: Deep-rooted plants, such as burdock and daikon radish, break up heavy soil and add organic matter.’
- ‘Dense burdock covered a lot three blocks from the White House.’
- ‘Salicylic acid combined with ‘ethnobotanicals,’ like Job's tears, yarrow and burdock, is more effective.’
- ‘This is best accomplished by blood cleansing tonics, especially with herbs like burdock, gentian, and sarsaparilla roots.’
- ‘It might also be wise to consider other liver and kidney support herbs such as cranberry, burdock, and dandelion root.’
- ‘A third way could be that followed by my sensible dad who was a keen non-swearing cyclist, swimmer and drinker of dandelion and burdock.’
- ‘Some of the other weeds safe for eating include chicory, burdock, purslane, Queen Anne's Lace, and sorrel.’
- ‘In addition, biennial weeds such as musk thistle, wild carrot, and burdock should be eliminated before establishing forage.’
- ‘For instance, there are botanical-based hair colorants rich in herbs such as nettle, sage, red sorrel, rosemary and burdock.’
Late 16th century: from burr + dock.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.