One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An antidepressant drug which is also given to relieve the symptoms of nicotine withdrawal.
Chemical formula: C₁₃H₁₈ClNOAlso called Zyban (a trademark)
- ‘What I haven't told you is that this was also a study of a drug called bupropion, trade name Zyban, to see if it works in getting people with schizophrenia to quit.’
- ‘The combined use of nicotine replacement, bupropion, and social or behavioral support can increase the quit rate to 35 percent.’
- ‘Nicotine replacement therapy and other interventions, such as the antidepressant bupropion, which should be available in the United Kingdom later this year, double the quitting rate.’
- ‘Licensed primarily as an antihypertensive, clonidine shares some pharmacological effects with bupropion and tricyclic antidepressants.’
- ‘The antidepressant drug bupropion can help control nicotine cravings.’
1970s: from butane + propion (see propionic acid) + -n (perhaps from -one).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.