Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Since Australian buoyage follows the IALA ‘A’ system, it's perhaps just as well that navigation is eyeball style.’
- ‘Ask at local marinas, yacht clubs, or bait stores as to the type of buoyage system in use in the area.’
- ‘Second, buoyage and charting are limited - and there's no Coast Guard or TowBoatU.S. to save your bacon if you skewer your yacht on a reef.’
- ‘Take time to study a chart as well as study the buoyage to familiarise yourself with their meaning.’
- ‘It is also useful to remember that buoyage must be related to an up to date chart.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.