Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
People who consider themselves to be socially superior:‘they publish a list of Australia's bunyip aristocracy of notable families’
- ‘The new government should transfer power from Downing Street into their own hands - to a new Colonial aristocracy, what was later ridiculed as a bunyip aristocracy.’
- ‘He described the would-be peers as a 'bunyip aristocracy'.’
- ‘His unsuccessful plea for an upper house based on a hereditary colonial peerage was mocked as a bunyip aristocracy.’
- ‘Negotiations could put that difference to rights in this new age of the bunyip aristocracy.’
- ‘Monday's honours list included one cringeworthy addition to the bunyip aristocracy of knights and dames.’
- ‘There has always been a bunyip aristocracy in Australia that has been offended by the idea of having to pay to acquire labour.’
- ‘They were accused of trying to create a fake class system in Australia, a "bunyip aristocracy" that would distort our current honours system.’
- ‘South Australia seems to be the last redoubt in Australia of the fawning, bunyip Aristocracy that yearns after the good old days where everyone was in their place.’
- ‘The conceptual confusion in the article may come from an insufficient awareness of the stakes of the struggles against colonial bunyip aristocracies so many years ago.’
- ‘The radical politician denounced her scheme as a bunyip aristocracy.’
Mid 19th century: from bunyip + aristocracy. The phrase was coined in 1853 by the political orator Daniel Deniehy (1828–65), in a speech that ridiculed attempts to establish a titled aristocracy in Australia, by equating the validity of such a notion to the bunyip, a creature from Aboriginal mythology.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.