Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A painful swelling on the first joint of the big toe.
bump, lump, bulge, inflammation, protuberance, excrescence, enlargement, distension, prominence, protrusion, tumour, node, noduleView synonyms
- ‘Neuropathy can also cause deformities such as bunions, hammer toes, and charcot feet.’
- ‘The main reason why so many people have problems ranging from bunions to hammer toes is poor choice of shoes and their improper fit.’
- ‘With no support of the toe box, the toes and ankles suffered causing ingrown toenails, bunions and arthritis.’
- ‘If your bunion is very painful, you should talk to your GP or podiatrist about this.’
- ‘Aside from the aesthetic factor, bunions can be painful.’
- ‘A bunion looks like a swollen, red, bony bump at the base of the big toe.’
- ‘However, women who wear ill-fitting shoes are liable to suffer in the long-term with blisters, bunions and joint pains.’
- ‘As a bunion progresses the joint of the toe that it is impacted can become inflamed and enlarged causing pain and ultimately causing the foot to become deformed.’
- ‘Unlike a bunion, which affects only your big toe, hammertoe can affect any toe.’
- ‘But Mrs Ruthven warns the fad could lead to corns, bunions, calluses, claw toes, hammer toes - even arthritis and lower back problems.’
- ‘On the other hand, over-restrictive footwear can lead to the more serious problem of bunions: abnormal enlargements of the bottom joint of the big toe.’
- ‘It is not uncommon for athletes to suffer such ailments as stress fractures, runner's knee, bunions and blisters.’
- ‘No sandals for anyone with hammer toes, bunions, or thick ankles.’
- ‘Painful bunions make life miserable, but many doctors suggest leaving well alone rather than undergoing surgery.’
- ‘Congenital deformities and neuromuscular disorders, such as cerebral palsy, can also be linked to bunions.’
- ‘When a patient presents with foot pain, bunions, corns or plantar warts, the physician should instruct them in how to choose properly fitting shoes.’
- ‘Bunions - Poorly fitting shoes and heredity are the primary causes of bunions, an unsightly bump of bone on the side of the big toe joint.’
- ‘In severe cases, excessive compensation at the level of the mediotarsal joint can lead to the development of bunions, hammertoes, and other disorders.’
- ‘In this position the Achilles tendon of the leading foot can be inserted in the gap between the big toe and the first lesser toe to help correct a bunion.’
- ‘A bunion is a bony swelling on the side of the big toe.’
Early 18th century: ultimately from Old French buignon, from buigne bump on the head.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.