One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A painful swelling on the first joint of the big toe.
bump, lump, bulge, inflammation, protuberance, excrescence, enlargement, distension, prominence, protrusion, tumour, node, noduleView synonyms
- ‘When a patient presents with foot pain, bunions, corns or plantar warts, the physician should instruct them in how to choose properly fitting shoes.’
- ‘As a bunion progresses the joint of the toe that it is impacted can become inflamed and enlarged causing pain and ultimately causing the foot to become deformed.’
- ‘No sandals for anyone with hammer toes, bunions, or thick ankles.’
- ‘Neuropathy can also cause deformities such as bunions, hammer toes, and charcot feet.’
- ‘In severe cases, excessive compensation at the level of the mediotarsal joint can lead to the development of bunions, hammertoes, and other disorders.’
- ‘Painful bunions make life miserable, but many doctors suggest leaving well alone rather than undergoing surgery.’
- ‘A bunion is a bony swelling on the side of the big toe.’
- ‘The main reason why so many people have problems ranging from bunions to hammer toes is poor choice of shoes and their improper fit.’
- ‘However, women who wear ill-fitting shoes are liable to suffer in the long-term with blisters, bunions and joint pains.’
- ‘Bunions - Poorly fitting shoes and heredity are the primary causes of bunions, an unsightly bump of bone on the side of the big toe joint.’
- ‘Congenital deformities and neuromuscular disorders, such as cerebral palsy, can also be linked to bunions.’
- ‘On the other hand, over-restrictive footwear can lead to the more serious problem of bunions: abnormal enlargements of the bottom joint of the big toe.’
- ‘If your bunion is very painful, you should talk to your GP or podiatrist about this.’
- ‘With no support of the toe box, the toes and ankles suffered causing ingrown toenails, bunions and arthritis.’
- ‘But Mrs Ruthven warns the fad could lead to corns, bunions, calluses, claw toes, hammer toes - even arthritis and lower back problems.’
- ‘Unlike a bunion, which affects only your big toe, hammertoe can affect any toe.’
- ‘In this position the Achilles tendon of the leading foot can be inserted in the gap between the big toe and the first lesser toe to help correct a bunion.’
- ‘Aside from the aesthetic factor, bunions can be painful.’
- ‘A bunion looks like a swollen, red, bony bump at the base of the big toe.’
- ‘It is not uncommon for athletes to suffer such ailments as stress fractures, runner's knee, bunions and blisters.’
Early 18th century: ultimately from Old French buignon, from buigne ‘bump on the head’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.