Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[in singular] A false charge, typically one leading to imprisonment.
- ‘I knew they were getting a bum rap, but they had no defenders that day.’
- ‘Lay, Skilling, and Fastow, as well as the folks at Andersen, have gotten a bum rap.’
- ‘Speaking of bum rap, the Seminole County judge, they ranted to recuse her.’
- 1.1An unfair judgement on someone or something.‘the industry often gets a bum rap for being dishonest’
- ‘I'd say he had a bum rap as being a tough person to interview.’
- ‘They get a bum rap, and have had a rough time historically.’
- ‘I tell you, they have taken a bum rap, because when the final chapter is written, they were us, and we were just fine with them.’
- ‘All in all, Grant's administration gets a bum rap.’
- ‘People called him cold and impersonal off-camera, but I think that was a bum rap.’
- ‘What a bum rap cheese has taken.’
- ‘At least one good piece of evidence suggests that tarring liberals as the eggheads around here is a bum rap.’
- ‘Carbs have gotten a bum rap because research shows that lower-carbohydrate diets are effective for obese individuals, who are extremely overweight and seldom exercise.’
- ‘You know, it's a great way to communicate, especially instrumental music, which gets a bum rap.’
- ‘Now, why does it get - I hate to get off on this tangent - but just why does Scientology get bum raps so much?’
- ‘Many in the iron game would be surprised to learn that fruit has gotten a bum rap in bodybuilding circles.’
- ‘He's taken nothing but bum raps on every decision he's made about Vietnam.’
- ‘They insist that the industry is getting a bum rap - that criticisms are based more on perception than reality.’
- ‘The poinsettia, everyone's favorite holiday plant, has gotten a bum rap for a number of years.’
- ‘What a bum rap sodium, commonly known as plain old salt, has been given.’
- ‘As we all have heard, the bum rap on Los Angeles is that it is too big and sprawling; it has no center and one has to spend all one's time in the car.’
- ‘Craig Knowles, a wildlife consultant in Boulder, Montana, who has mapped many prairie dog towns across the West, says the animal got a bum rap from the early researchers.’
- ‘I'd like to tell you a story about a good friend of mine, one of the nicest guys I've ever met, who simply got a bum rap in the press.’
- ‘Teraoka says he feels Eve has gotten a bum rap over the centuries as the instigator of mankind's sorrows.’
- ‘I was shocked that something as totally delightful as motherhood could have gotten such a bum rap.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.