One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounAustralian, NZ
Treacle or golden syrup.‘we had thick slices of home-made bread spread with bullocky's joy’
- ‘When dad was a boy, Bullocky's joy, The only jam they knew, Was treacle black.’
- ‘There was a wagonette load of jam, treacle and bullocky's joy in one corner of our store.’
- ‘Up until then, they had had only treacle, which was known as bullocky's joy.’
- ‘The bread was no good because it had to be made in bullocky's joy tins.’
- ‘We could relieve the monotony of marmalade jam with bullocky's joy.’
Early 20th century: from bullocky + joy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.