Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A decorative stitch in embroidery made by winding the thread several times round the needle before sewing a backstitch.
- ‘Pull the thread through until the bullion knot lies flat.’
- ‘Now take a stitch through the fabric the length of the finished bullion knot and wrap the thread around the needle as many times as required.’
- ‘In some of her kits she has included French and bullion knots as well as straight stitch, couching and stem stitch and also silver and gold thread.’
- ‘The foreground has a rich texture of bullion knots and fly stitch.’
- ‘For those who delight in the versatility of the bullion knot, here is a project that you will love!’
- ‘It is worked on an even weave linen with a perle threads and involves four sided stitch, padded raised stem band, several buttonhole stitch techniques, bullion knots amongst others.’
- ‘If your bullion knots have become squashed out of shape when a garment comes out of the dryer, moisten a cotton swab and wet down the flower petal and mold it into a nice shape.’
- ‘The bullion knot roses are 2 of my first ever and one I accidentally switched the thread colors around, it's supposed to go darkest to lightest.’
- ‘Among the skills to be learned are: preparation of the fabric for stitching, a slip-stitch hem, 4-sided stitch border, preparing the lace pattern for use, a padded roll, foundation bars, buttonhole circles and bars, bullion knot rosette, corner embellishments and a bullion knot edging.’
- ‘Stitches used - Alternating satin stitch, stem stitch, bullion, cast-on, up-down cast-on, pistil stitch, French knots, combination cast-on stitch and bullion knot, wrapped chain and stem stitch Intermediate Level’
- ‘Button-hole stitch needle lace, bullion knots, beads, seed pearls, coral, paste, diamonds, spangles and mica were all utilised to give a three dimensional effect.’
- ‘In the top right hand corner a buttonhole variation is topped with alternating combinations of cast on stitch and bullion knots worked in a hand dyed cotton thread.’
- ‘A bullion knot is sort of an elongated French knot.’
- ‘The small fairy on the white background is stitched in split stitch and has bullion knot hair.’
- ‘Practice making bullion knots with a light colored #5 pearl cotton, a #22 tapestry needle, a laying tool, and 18-ct. canvas.’
- ‘It is unclear to me if these are bullion knots or beads sewn on.’
- ‘Neat bullion knots are achieved by using the eye of the needle to even the twists while pulling the bullion knot into place.’
- ‘They are also good in counted thread and other embroidery for making French knots and bullion knots.’
- ‘Lyn shows you how to coax bullion knots into gentle scallops for an appealing edge finish on infant garments.’
- ‘This rose was stitched during a seminar that taught us how to make bullion knots and pulled stitches.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.