One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A very large frog which has a deep booming croak and is often a predator of smaller vertebrates.
Genera Rana and Pyxicephalus, family Ranidae: the North American bullfrog (R. catesbiana), the Asian bullfrog (R. tigrina), and the African bullfrog (P. adspersus)
- ‘With all the senses tingling, you can hear the hippos at the watering hole; the croak of the bullfrogs; smell the dank scent of the cooling earth and anticipate, with trepidation, a prowling lioness.’
- ‘The lake behind the house was filled with tree frogs and bullfrogs and cicadas and crickets.’
- ‘There was always some sound to be heard; the chirping of crickets, bird songs, bullfrogs croaking, and the crunching of leaves and pine needles underfoot.’
- ‘‘You don't hear bullfrogs or toads anymore, because we've poisoned the streams and creeks with our chemicals,’ Askins speculates.’
- ‘Large, invasive, and voracious as adults, bullfrogs often out-compete - and often eat - native amphibians.’
- ‘In southern Arizona the most common vertebrates found in bullfrogs are other bullfrogs, Schwalbe said.’
- ‘And bullfrogs are just one of a number of amphibian species people have moved, either by accident or for some intended benefit.’
- ‘We also ran into a bullfrog big enough to choke an egret, as you can tell from its photo.’
- ‘Her belabored breathing is indistinguishable from the sounds of nature, the bullfrog's croaks and the insects' swarms.’
- ‘The tadpoles of some species, such as the bullfrog, take as long as two years to metamorphose into young frogs.’
- ‘Also see fishlike tadpoles that will later metamorphose into American bullfrogs, sprouting legs and losing their tails.’
- ‘We identified 5 bacterial species from the newts and 5 from the bullfrogs.’
- ‘Evidence from past studies shows that the presence of Anax induces a reduction in activity level of small green frogs and bullfrogs.’
- ‘The Service hopes to further investigate the relationship between the non-native bullfrogs and the garter snakes within the Central Valley region.’
- ‘I conducted a field playback experiment to investigate whether territorial male bullfrogs assess the size of opponents based solely on size-related variation in fundamental frequency.’
- ‘Mating success is often skewed toward central ‘hotshot’ males, such as in black grouse, sharp-tailed grouse, and bullfrogs.’
- ‘In their native habitat, predators such as large water snakes, alligators, and snapping turtles keep adult bullfrogs in check, while fish slurp tadpoles.’
- ‘The average masses of the small bullfrogs and green frogs were determined by weighing 60 haphazardly chosen tadpoles from the populations used.’
- ‘The American bullfrog, for example, discharges copious amounts of mucus when basking in the drying rays of the sun.’
- ‘Some fisherman and froggers catch large catfish, turtles, and bullfrogs by hand, thus preserving an ancient art.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.