One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large Australian ant with large jaws and a powerful sting.
Genus Myrmecia, family FormicidaeAlso called bull ant
- ‘The queen bulldog ant takes multiple mates and then, after that, never mates again for the rest of her life.’
- ‘On the way, he was bitten by a red-bellied black snake, attacked by bulldog ants, chased by crocodiles, and stranded by swift-flowing rivers.’
- ‘The Aruntas of Australia think that a medicine man's powers will be destroyed if he is bitten by a bulldog ant.’
- ‘Jackjumpers and bulldog ants are native to Australia, New Zealand and Tasmania.’
- ‘Although classified as a ‘primitive’ ant, the bulldog ant exhibits complex social behavior and is obviously far from a simple biological entity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.