One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Covered with rounded swellings like blisters.
- ‘The distinguishing characteristic of this species is the extremely bullate leaves.’
- ‘Paranephelius is composed of acaulescent herbs with showy, yellow capitula, sessile in the center of a basal rosette of leaves, often with bullate leaf surfaces.’
- ‘Nautilocalyx pemphidius High Resolution Another plant that is usually seen grown for its dark bullate foliage.’
- ‘The leaves are stalked, have a serrated outline, covered with stiff hair and their shape is ovoid and broad or bullate, hence the origin of species name (bullatus).’
- ‘Adult leaf: often entire, mid-green blade, involute, slightly bullate and crinkled, very little pigment in the veins.’
Mid 18th century: from Latin bullatus, from Latin bulla ‘bubble’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.