One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A short-haired dog of a breed that is a cross between a bulldog and a terrier.
- ‘Beside him, lying in a big chair, was Willie, his bull terrier.’
- ‘A second bull terrier, Florence, it seemed, had been responsible.’
- ‘The bull terrier soon charged at him, grabbing him by the throat and knocking him to the ground so that Mr O'Brien received ‘quite serious injuries’.’
- ‘So here are our choices: a playful Irish setter backed up by a schnauzer, a disciplined but socially challenged German shepherd or a determined bull terrier with a mind of his own.’
- ‘You only seem to hear about dog maulings when there is a bull terrier involved it; of course never makes headline news if another, more placidly perceived, dog is the culprit.’
- ‘She was fined £500 after her pet bull terrier Dotty bit two children.’
- ‘Never mind the dream about the bean-bag chair and the virgin, the one about the tree and the bull terrier off the chain.’
- ‘Baxter is a bull terrier who longs to be liberated from the shackles of his pound dwelling and experience life among les humains.’
- ‘He said, patting his dogs head, happy that his bull terrier was there.’
- ‘The omnipopular Spuds MacKenzie was a bull terrier, a breed developed in England during the middle of the 19th century about the time the first recorded dog shows were held there.’
- ‘Later I decided I had to own a bull terrier to prove that it's not that breed but the owner.’
- ‘For Casey, the much-put-upon bull terrier, this is a paradise.’
- ‘But all I learnt was how not to bring up a bull terrier.’
- ‘Charm and bluster rolled off him like a bull terrier: friendly, protective one moment; unpredictable, threatening the next.’
- ‘A terrified pensioner watched in horror as an out-of-control bull terrier ripped her pet dog to pieces.’
- ‘A Wandsworth window cleaner was savaged to death by his adored bull terrier after he had an epileptic fit, an inquest heard this week.’
- ‘I had no idea that so many police stations only worked office hours, and to get a response you need the patience of a hero and the tenacity of a bull terrier.’
- ‘Only three breeds fell below 0.500 H B; bull terrier, miniature bull terrier, and boxer.’
- ‘A schoolboy who was savagely attacked by a bull terrier in the street heroically fought it off after getting the animal in a headlock.’
- ‘A boy of five was pulled to the ground and savaged by a bull terrier in a horrific attack witnessed by his father and identical twin brother.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.