Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The relative change in the volume of a body produced by a unit compressive or tensile stress acting uniformly over its surface.
- ‘They then calculated both the shear modulus and the bulk modulus, which are measures of the mineral's ability to deform when squeezed or bent in different ways.’
- ‘X-ray diffraction patterns revealed the spacing between osmium atoms in the sample at different pressures, data that gave a bulk modulus of 462 GPa, compared to diamond's 443 GPa.’
- ‘The material properties for the different regions included the bulk modulus, thickness, and density.’
- ‘A related quantity, the bulk modulus, is defined as the reciprocal of the compressibility.’
- ‘The coefficients of the constitutive relation (the bulk modulus, for example) determine the nature and degree of the material's response to strain.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.