One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be or seem to be of great importance.‘territorial questions bulked large in diplomatic relations’
be important, loom large, dominate, preponderate, be prominent, be significant, be influential, be of consequence, be of account, be relevant, mean a lot, count, matter, signify, carry weightView synonyms
- ‘In all the annals of arrogance for which this Government and that Secretary of State have become notorious this utter display of contempt for Parliament bulks large.’
- ‘Such countries may not bulk large in the Nato range-finder (though both have oil) but, without them, generalised conclusions about Christian-Muslim conflict are suspect.’
- ‘To some extent this is unavoidable: slavery and the slave trade bulk large in this work.’
- ‘In the light of low production costs these products bulk large in the supplies of a company with approximately €1.3 billion of turnover and 8,500 workers.’
- ‘The list of famous acquaintances and friends bulks large in the book's index.’
- ‘If the altar controversy bulked large to Charles, to Laud it was a matter of ‘indifference’.’
- ‘Intellectual attainment does not bulk large among the virtues of his frontier heroes, certainly, and when a professor or other ‘brain merchant’ does appear he is likely to be scorned as a fop.’
- ‘Kvashnin was to be accompanied by top Russian defence ministry official General Yevgeny Buzhinsky, the agency said, adding that turbulence in Macedonia would also bulk large on the agenda.’
- ‘In this version of the history of the Conservatives, Peel was something of a false start while Disraeli bulks large as a protean figure who enabled later Conservatives to claim that he established some sort of popular Toryism.’
- ‘The site is architecturally important for buildings of the Archaic and Classical periods, and it bulks large in our corpus of Archaic architectural sculpture, for the most part of imported stone.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.