One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ship that carries non-liquid cargoes such as grain or ore in bulk.
- ‘Spokeswoman Clare du Plooy-Gomes said the bulk carrier, grounded 300 metres off Scarborough beach since September 5th, was successfully refloated at 3am.’
- ‘Two teams of Scottish & Southern Energy electrical engineers travelled to the county to help with storm damage, while a bulk carrier en route to Iceland with 4,000 tonnes of wood has took shelter off Sanday until the weather abated.’
- ‘The oldest vessel is a bulk carrier 42 years old and almost all the ships on the list are regarded as very high risk.’
- ‘Reports from Lloyds List of London today state that Panama has ordered the arrest of the Panama-flagged bulker Otterloo for international arms trafficking.’
- ‘Zodiac, with about 120 ships, will provide a capesize bulk carrier, ranging in size from 150,000 dwt to 180,000 dwt to ship iron ore from Brazil to Shanghai.’
- ‘The biggest ever shipment of salt left the port of Walvis Bay last week in the bulk carrier, the Gem of Tuticorn.’
- ‘These concerns were illustrated last December when the Special Boat Squadron, the maritime SAS, intercepted and boarded the Nisha, an Indian-owned bulk carrier, in the English Channel.’
- ‘His father was a sea captain on very large bulk carrier ships, and like all children of seafarers he saw his father infrequently.’
- ‘This 160,000 ton bulk carrier hit the Stags reef in 1986.’
- ‘The breakthrough comes almost three weeks after the bulk carrier ran aground just off the coast between Bhirha and Hamburg on June 7.’
- ‘Far away, against the horizon, a large bulk carrier looked almost motionless as she made her way against the strong coastal current.’
- ‘The mystery surrounding the grounding of a bulk carrier has deepened after an initial Marine Department investigation ruled out mechanical failure.’
- ‘I presume the vessel was a bulk carrier or a general cargo ship, loaded with steel.’
- ‘The refugees, who had fled from Iraq, had been at sea for eight days in the Mediterranean after leaving Turkey aboard a Cambodian-registered bulk carrier, the East Sea.’
- ‘On 12 January 2003, the MV Dorine, a Polish bulk carrier flying the flag of Cyprus, berthed in Bell Bay, Launceston.’
- ‘I have even seen a report that confuses this small freighter with a multi-thousand-tonne bulk carrier of the same name that also went down in the Red Sea.’
- ‘The message came from the Liberian-registered 170,000 tonne bulk carrier Cape Rosa which had a man on board who needed urgent medical treatment.’
- ‘At the time of her 1958 launching, the 730-foot Edmund Fitzgerald was the largest bulk carrier on the Great Lakes.’
- ‘Cape Asia has already ordered a similar size bulk carrier from the shipyard.’
- ‘The Type 23 warship was on patrol in the Gulf region when she received a distress call from a Greek-registered bulk carrier, asking for help in evacuating a member of the crew who was suspected of having had a heart attack.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.