One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ship that carries non-liquid cargoes such as grain or ore in bulk.
- ‘The message came from the Liberian-registered 170,000 tonne bulk carrier Cape Rosa which had a man on board who needed urgent medical treatment.’
- ‘Cape Asia has already ordered a similar size bulk carrier from the shipyard.’
- ‘Spokeswoman Clare du Plooy-Gomes said the bulk carrier, grounded 300 metres off Scarborough beach since September 5th, was successfully refloated at 3am.’
- ‘At the time of her 1958 launching, the 730-foot Edmund Fitzgerald was the largest bulk carrier on the Great Lakes.’
- ‘I have even seen a report that confuses this small freighter with a multi-thousand-tonne bulk carrier of the same name that also went down in the Red Sea.’
- ‘Two teams of Scottish & Southern Energy electrical engineers travelled to the county to help with storm damage, while a bulk carrier en route to Iceland with 4,000 tonnes of wood has took shelter off Sanday until the weather abated.’
- ‘This 160,000 ton bulk carrier hit the Stags reef in 1986.’
- ‘His father was a sea captain on very large bulk carrier ships, and like all children of seafarers he saw his father infrequently.’
- ‘The mystery surrounding the grounding of a bulk carrier has deepened after an initial Marine Department investigation ruled out mechanical failure.’
- ‘Far away, against the horizon, a large bulk carrier looked almost motionless as she made her way against the strong coastal current.’
- ‘On 12 January 2003, the MV Dorine, a Polish bulk carrier flying the flag of Cyprus, berthed in Bell Bay, Launceston.’
- ‘The refugees, who had fled from Iraq, had been at sea for eight days in the Mediterranean after leaving Turkey aboard a Cambodian-registered bulk carrier, the East Sea.’
- ‘Reports from Lloyds List of London today state that Panama has ordered the arrest of the Panama-flagged bulker Otterloo for international arms trafficking.’
- ‘I presume the vessel was a bulk carrier or a general cargo ship, loaded with steel.’
- ‘The oldest vessel is a bulk carrier 42 years old and almost all the ships on the list are regarded as very high risk.’
- ‘The breakthrough comes almost three weeks after the bulk carrier ran aground just off the coast between Bhirha and Hamburg on June 7.’
- ‘The Type 23 warship was on patrol in the Gulf region when she received a distress call from a Greek-registered bulk carrier, asking for help in evacuating a member of the crew who was suspected of having had a heart attack.’
- ‘The biggest ever shipment of salt left the port of Walvis Bay last week in the bulk carrier, the Gem of Tuticorn.’
- ‘These concerns were illustrated last December when the Special Boat Squadron, the maritime SAS, intercepted and boarded the Nisha, an Indian-owned bulk carrier, in the English Channel.’
- ‘Zodiac, with about 120 ships, will provide a capesize bulk carrier, ranging in size from 150,000 dwt to 180,000 dwt to ship iron ore from Brazil to Shanghai.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.