Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A hoverfly that resembles a bumblebee, with larvae that are pests of daffodil bulbs.
- ‘A few species of syrphid flies, known as bulb flies, develop by feeding on and tunneling into plant tissues.’
- ‘Insecticides are recommended if you've had an infestation of narcissus bulb flies or gladiolus thrips.’
- ‘Aphids and bulb flies can be controlled by spraying with sprays such as pest oil, Pyrethrum, Maldison or Rogor.’
- ‘Regardless, the earlier you can pull your bulbs out, the better the chance that you will avoid bulb flies.’
- ‘Daffodils may be attacked by bulb flies or the Narcissus nematode, a microscopic organism in the soil.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.