One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An area where a structure is being constructed or repaired.
- ‘From 1909 Galerkin began to study building sites and construction works throughout Europe.’
- ‘The site is still a building site, with stacks of concrete blocks and scaffolding in the bare corridors.’
- ‘The construction materials are very expensive but there are more building sites than workers available.’
- ‘Petty cash, company stationary, mobile phones and laptops rank high among items stolen from offices, building sites and changing rooms.’
- ‘Athens, a site of great historical interest, was a building site a matter of months ago.’
- ‘During 1946, up to one fifth of all farm work in Britain was being done by German POWs, and they were also employed on road works and building sites.’
- ‘For that reason, he uses a rock milling machine when excavating for streets, highways, and building sites.’
- ‘He's a big man with a withering sense of humour honed after a generation on Scottish building sites where getting brickies to trowel cement more quickly is a form of black art.’
- ‘For as long as six years the families at the Shandon site were living on what was nothing more than a building site.’
- ‘Industrial and construction noises from factories and building sites also produced a barrage of complaints.’
- ‘There have been many reports of machinery having been stolen at building sites at various locations around the area.’
- ‘Amish construction groups travel to building sites for commercial and residential construction.’
- ‘Her mother's family were construction engineers and through visiting building sites as a child she became interested in construction.’
- ‘Would you like to grade a building site with the same ease that you play a computer game?’
- ‘The move should help keep down construction inflation costs and make building sites safer.’
- ‘Mr Kelleher said it was understandable that children would have a natural curiosity about building sites but safety had to remain a priority.’
- ‘John worked on various building sites during the early 1920s, including the construction of Wembley Stadium.’
- ‘This considers advertisement hoardings to be acceptable around building sites or where they screen unsightly areas.’
- ‘Just in the last few weeks it's started to change from being a building site to buildings.’
- ‘It depicts a construction worker hanging desperately from a steel girder on a building site.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.