One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A supplier of construction materials.
- ‘In Ireland the group is the leading builders' merchants and DIY retailer.’
- ‘Scores of lorries use the road every day to make deliveries to a bakery, builders' merchant and several other industrial units in the street.’
- ‘A further probe is thought likely given that the deal will involve the combination of the number one and number two players in both the builders' merchants and DIY retailing markets in Ireland.’
- ‘If you don't have old broomsticks around, you can get new ones in builders' merchants for around £1.50 - £2.00 (slightly more in the DIY sheds).’
- ‘Visit garden centres and builders' merchants, collect samples and catalogues.’
- ‘The company has been snapping up smaller builders' merchants, firms which have been finding it increasingly difficult to compete.’
- ‘As those markets emerge and benefit from increased EU integration, the builders' merchants businesses within them should prosper.’
- ‘Home sales are predominantly to builders' merchants, with much of the demand being created by local authority and housing association projects and maintenance.’
- ‘If the fireback needs repairing, use heat-resistant fire cement, obtainable from builders' merchants.’
- ‘Hospitalised children from a town near Chernobyl now have hot running water thanks to donations from a Swindon builders' merchant.’
- ‘Effective materials can be bought from DIY stores or local builders' merchants and you can fill the gaps yourself for about £50.’
- ‘Otherwise, a layer of compacted sand - available from builders' merchants - or a paving-slab base is adequate.’
- ‘The building, a former builders' merchants, was bought by the mosque 15 years ago and more than £300,000 has been raised to turn it into a school.’
- ‘In the meantime, leaflets giving details of the project's aims is available at council offices, the library, national park centres, Craven College and builders' merchants.’
- ‘Information packs are being distributed to local trade centres, plumbing suppliers and builders' merchants and suppliers will be asked to display the eye-catching packs in prominent places.’
- ‘The boundaries between builders' merchants and DIY operators is becoming increasingly blurred.’
- ‘I had worked in telesales in a builders' merchants, so I was used to dealing with the public, but I'd just become a bit of a recluse.’
- ‘He said: ‘At first I did general labouring work for a builders' merchant, then in 1998 I saw a course for dry stone walling advertised by the Yorkshire Guild.’’
- ‘This reduction in construction activity can have a knock on affect on builders' merchants, plumbing supplies companies, paint manufacturers and floor-covering outfits.’
- ‘Your local builders' merchant will sell wood beading that you can paint to match the skirting.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.